Design Engineer – Embedded Board
Acromag is a U.S. high-tech innovative electronics company. Our designs travel through space on their way to the final frontier. Nuclear plants, wastewater treatment plants, and oil production are all safer for neighborhoods and the environment with the help of our reliable signal measurement and control I/O devices. We service the world from our Michigan facility. We are committed to creating a mission-driven, positive culture made up of the best and brightest engineers in the business. We care about our employees and offer a comprehensive benefit package.
The Design Engineer – Embedded Board will do the research and design of electronic products. This includes selecting components and IC’s; creating schematics and PCB footprints for new components; creating design schematics; overseeing and sometimes performing PCB route and layout. In addition, will include creating product documentation of functional specifications, user manuals, and product test requirement. Finally, performing product qualifications and testing, supporting new product test fixture development and release to production.
Must be capable of providing product application support for new and existing products. The Design Engineer – Embedded Board role will be an instrumental part of how our business grows moving forward, both in design & manufacturing as well as business development.
- Responsible for leading or executing electrical project monitoring and control activities such as: work planning, team meetings, and open issues.
- Plans and formulates engineering activities according to project requirements.
- Provide technical expertise in product development lead and/or participate in the design and development of new products.
- Assume engineering responsibility for all product development phases, including quoting, breadboards, prototypes, testing, validation and release to production.
- Review and evaluate test results Identify root cause of problems and provide corrective actions and recommendations.
- Supports new project planning, scheduling, preliminary design, and costing efforts.
- Generates product functional specifications and product test requirements.
- Reviews product design for compliance with relevant design standards and marketing needs.
- Reviews and reports project status against the schedule during the development cycle.
- Provide technical leadership and support with other team members, including sales, purchasing and manufacturing.
- Resolves engineering design and testing problems.
- Documents products per company requirements.
- Helps train and direct support personnel as required.
- Do research into new applications/methods as required.
- Reviews and refines methods to enhance hardware/firmware development.
- Consults with software engineering staff to optimize interfaces between hardware and software.
- Agrees to execute all required research and development tasks and any other projects so directed by management.
- Continues to seek education to enhance abilities.
- Maintains a task list on a weekly basis.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (BSEE), and/or Computer Engineering (BSCE) degree and/or Master’s degree in Electronics.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ high speed digital design centering around Ethernet, PCIe, SATA, and USB3.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience using PCB design schematic capture and board layout routing tools.
- Design experience using ADC and DAC analog components a plus.
- High speed digital design centering around FPGA a plus.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Personable and a team player.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to understand clients’ needs quickly and be able to communicate those needs.
- Good typing (i.e. 40+ wpm) and grammar skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to multitask daily.
- Creative yet analytical.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Maximum weight to be handled is 50 pounds.
- The majority of the work is to be performed in a sitting position. The ability to remain sitting for up to 8 hours at a time if necessary.
- May occasionally perform duties in a standing, kneeling or squatting, position, and occasionally use a stair climber.
- May be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, and reach with hands and arms.
- Good eyesight and the ability to distinguish color is necessary, and the ability to adjust focus for use of a computer monitor.
- Able to speak, read, write and understand English as it relates to performing job requirements.
- The work schedule consists of a five-day, 40-hour workweek, with overtime dependent on department needs.
- May be expected to visit the production floor, where the noise level is moderate to high noise level, with suitable lighting, and with a mild chemical odor and fumes.
Acromag, Inc., Personnel Department
30765 Wixom Rd
Wixom, MI 48393
Acromag is an Equal Opportunity Employer